Top Yorkshire Covers Band - REAL PUB ENTERTAINMENT!!

Friday, September 23, 2005

SAMS TOP 5 SONGS




OK, my turn!

No. 5:-

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here - Gorgeous melody, beautiful words, sweet vocal from Dave Gilmour, and one of the most memorable choruses ever. And the intro, with its tasteful acoustic soloing is just spinetingling. Floyd were the highlight of Live8 for me, the best chill out band ever, with the nicest guitar player too.

No. 4

XTC - Dear God
- The best song ever about why I'm an atheist!

Sample:-

Dear god, don't know if you noticed, but...
your name is on a lot of quotes in this book,
and us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look,
and all the people that you made in your image
still believing that junk is true.
Well I know it ain't, and so do you, dear God,

I can't believe in I don't believe in
I won't believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners, no devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.

You're always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babes you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
and it's the same the whole world 'round.
The hurt I see helps to compound

that Father, Son and Holy Ghost
is just somebody's unholy hoax,
and if you're up there you'd perceive
that my heart's here upon my sleeve.
If there's one thing I don't believe in....

it's you....

Fantastic, cynical, and it just sums it up for me. Sorry Paul, its like your blog all over again! And also, it has a typically clever, quirky melody that's not only memorable but much more difficult to write than it sounds. XTC, one of the greatest bands ever to have walked this earth, imho of course....

No.3

Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind - This is so f*ckin bitter and twisted, and full of anger, about a guy feels betrayal from a close friend, maybe even a lover, after he is wrongly accused of murder. The vitriol with which he sings it is awesome.

Sample:-

You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies
One day you'll be in the ditch,
flies buzzing around your eyes
Blood on your saddle.

and even better:-

I been double-crossed now
for the very last time
and now I'm finally free
I kissed goodbye the howling beast
on the borderline
which separated you from me

You'll never know the hurt I suffered
nor the pain I rise above
And I'll never know the same about you
your holiness or your kind of love
And it makes me feel so sorry.

Idiot wind blowing through the buttons of our coats
Blowing through the letters that we wrote
Idiot wind blowing through the dust upon our shelves
We're idiots babe
It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves.

His voice may be horrible these days, but his lyrics were incredible. Go buy Blood on the Tracks, even if you only own one Dylan album, this is the one, fantastic.

No. 2:-

Bruce Springsteen - Valentines Day - From the underrated Tunnel of Love album, this song sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It was a close thing between this and Thunder Road, but this shades it.

I know I'm taking up space, but this deserves the whole lot printing in full:-

I'm driving a big lazy car rushin' up the highway in the dark
I got one hand steady on the wheel and one hand's tremblin' over my heart
It's pounding baby like it's gonna bust right on through
And it ain't gonna stop till I'm alone again with you

A friend of mine became a father last night
When we spoke in his voice I could hear the light
Of the skies and the rivers the timberwolf in the pines
And that great jukebox out on Route 39
They say he travels fastest who travels alone
But tonight I miss my girl mister tonight I miss my home

Is it the sound of the leaves
Left blown by the wayside
That's got me out here on this spooky old highway tonight
Is it the cry of the river
With the moonlight shining through
That ain't what scares me baby
What scares me is loosin' you

They say if you die in your dreams you really die in your bed
But honey last night I dreamed my eyes rolled straight back in my head
And God's light came shinin' on through
I woke up in the darkness scared and breathin' and born anew
It wasn't the cold river bottom I felt rushing over me
It wasn't the bitterness of a dream that didn't come true
It wasn't the wind in the grey fields I felt rushing through my arms
No no baby it was you

So hold me close honey say you're forever mine
And tell me you'll be my lonely valentine

You have to be some kind of hard hearted son of a bitch not to be touched by that. Gorgeous, and the music is equally so too, washing over you, ahhh......

And finally,

No. 1

Frank Sinatra - One for my baby, and one more for the road - The greatest singer that ever lived in my opinion. A fantastic interpreter of a song, that could touch you and make you feel that he really meant it and felt the lyrics. That voice, that smooth, almost conversational quality that his timing gave him, was perfect for this, the saddest and most atmospheric of torch songs.

One for my baby

Writer(s): johnny mercer/harold arlen
It’s quarter to three,
There’s no one in the place ’cept you and me
So set ’em’ up joe
I got a little story I think you oughtta know
We’re drinking my friend
To the end of a brief episode
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road

I know the routine
Put another nickel in that there machine
I’m feeling so bad
Won’t you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot
But you gotta to be true to your code
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road

You’d never know it
But buddy I’m a kind of poet
And I’ve got a lot of things I wanna say
And if I’m gloomy, please listen to me
Till it’s all, all talked away

Well, that’s how it goes
And joe I know you’re gettin’ anxious to close
So thanks for the cheer
I hope you didn’t mind
My bending your ear

But this torch that I found
It’s gotta be drowned
Or it soon might explode
So make it one for my baby
And one more for the road

The words on their own don't do it justice, listen to the song, it will slay you. And one final point, he recorded it in the 50's, and that version is perfect, his voice and interpretation are superb, but listen to the one on Duets, from 1992, when his voice is shot to peices, and this on will send shivers down your spine, the frailty of his old voice just completes the emotional hatchet job on your heart strings!

Well that's it, its guitar solos next....





10 Comments:

Blogger Paul Richardson said...

Sam :
I really do need to take you to task (intellectually) on the song by XTC. Perhaps my blog will be a better place for the discussion. I have been working on an essay/booklet/book? entitled 'What I believe I think I believe', my riposte will be contained therein.

ps great list with a couple of suprises!!

8:58 am

 
Blogger Sam Hirst said...

Bring it on Richardson, you don't scare me......

Hope Ruth is ok and not sprogging just yet old bean.......

9:18 am

 
Blogger Phileric said...

Sam - you don't have to take the Bible literally - or believe in it at all to have faith. Have an open mind matey - accept that there may be things that cannot be explained and may never be able to be explained - neither by scientist nor religion.

4:39 pm

 
Blogger Sam Hirst said...

God, it wasn't a detailed analysis, just a comment on the song! And to me, faith is based on a judgement. And for me to have faith in a god means there has to be something to make an opinion on, like various scientific facts, mathematical equations, or findings, ie something to assess it on and then make a, get this, qualified decision, not just blind faith. Now, I think that is as open minded as you can be, who is to say Darwin or Stephen Hawking is right? But, I have faith that their decisions are based on evidence, and their judgement may be right or wrong. In the case of religious faith it is entirely based on faith, no facts, figures, or findings for me to make a considered view.

4:46 pm

 
Blogger Phileric said...

I don't want to push this on your site but I had to laugh at the way you opened your last comment with 'GOD.'

12:46 am

 
Blogger Paul Richardson said...

Ey up Sam,
Just wanted to say that I can readily agree with the thrust of your last post. That is much more in line with the comments you regularly make on this subject. Of course we all realise that it is impossible to prove a negative ie prove that God doesn't exist. I also have a lot of time for evidence based solutions to the questions which trouble and interest us all. Faith though, will always have a lack of evidence at some level. Otherwise it wouldn't be faith it would be certainty. It requires faith for me to believe that Darwins theories really do fully explain the evolution of the species,or that Einsteins theory of relativity really does completely explain the behaviour of super massive objects in gravitational fields or at close to light speed. Even with my science training there is an element of faith that they got it pretty much right as I dont fully understand a lot of what they said and wrote. Martin Luther King said that faith is simply taking the next step without seeing the rest of the staircase.

The trouble with the song is that it is (probably intentionaly to provoke people (ever an artistic ploy!!)) athiest dogma. Some of the lines ie about war and killing being the fault of God are worn out.

As a song I respect that it is one of your favourites but as a reason for being an atheist it doesnt fit with the rational line you have usually taken.

love Paul xx

9:43 am

 
Blogger Paul Richardson said...

CAN WE TAKE FURTHER DEBATE TO MY SITE?? THER IS A POST THERE TO START THE DISCUSSION. ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO JOIN IN PLEASE DO BUT GO TO TO PAULS SITE ON THE LINKS FIRST

TA paulxx

9:56 am

 
Blogger Sam Hirst said...

For f*cks sake, would that have been better as an opener? You knew what I meant, I understand the irony of using god, but its not important is it? It was my mild way of showing my irritation that the issue was jumped on here!

Final point, my argument is utterly logical and well reasoned on the issue, and I defy anyone to say otherwise. Well, anyone? Thought not. FFS.

10:16 am

 
Blogger Paul Richardson said...

Are you a bit tired you grumpy old sod.
paul

ps sorted my brake light -and lets take this to my site - you know you love the argument (when grandads had more sleep)

10:25 am

 
Blogger Sam Hirst said...

Sorry, f*cked and grumpy this morning, it was aimed at Phils post, sorry Phil, but you get my drift, not an issue is it?

And Paul, my initial comments when talking about the song were never meant to be my full views on the matter, it was hardly the forum was it? And though the song isn't the full picture, it is a cynics way of saying that if god is so f*ckin good then how come all this shit happens everywhere? It says that we wrote the bible. Any arguments there? No, cos we did. People can't claim that god is love and this fantastic being without questioning all the dreadful things that happen in the world that christians seem to conveniently find excuses for gods lack of intervention. Tired it may sound, because the issues have been trotted out before, but a cliche is often a cliche because there is a large element of truth to it, and has been for a while, hence its repetition...

10:30 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com