Top Yorkshire Covers Band - REAL PUB ENTERTAINMENT!!

Friday, February 01, 2008

SAMS TOP 5 SONGS
.
don't forget myspace.com/theericsrock
. OK, my turn!
.
No. 5 - Pink Floyd - Wish you were here -
.
Gorgeous melody, beautiful words, sweet vocal from Dave Gilmour, and one of the most memorable choruses ever. And the intro, with its tasteful acoustic soloing is just spinetingling. Floyd were the highlight of Live8 for me, the best chill out band ever, with the nicest guitar player too
.
.
.
No. 4 - XTC - Dear God -
.
The best song ever about why I'm an atheist!
Sample:-
.
Dear god,
don't know if you noticed, but...your name is on a lot of quotes in this book
and us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look
and all the people that you made in your image
still believing that junk is true
Well I know it ain't, and so do you,
dear God
.
I can't believe in I don't believe in
I won't believe in heaven and hell
No saints, no sinners, no devil as well
No pearly gates, no thorny crown
You're always letting us humans down
The wars you bring, the babes you drown
Those lost at sea and never found,
and it's the same the whole world 'round
The hurt I see helps to compound
that Father, Son and Holy Ghost
is just somebody's unholy hoax,
and if you're up there you'd perceive
that my heart's here upon my sleeve
If there's one thing I don't believe in
....
it's you
....
.
Fantastic, cynical, and it just sums it up for me. Sorry Paul, its like your blog all over again! And also, it has a typically clever, quirky melody that's not only memorable but much more difficult to write than it sounds. XTC, one of the greatest bands ever to have walked this earth, imho of course....
.
.
.
No.3 - Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind -
.
This is so f*ckin bitter and twisted, and full of anger, about a guy feels betrayal from a close friend, maybe even a lover, after he is wrongly accused of murder. The vitriol with which he sings it is awesome
Sample:-
.
You hurt the ones that I love best and cover up the truth with lies

One day you'll be in the ditch, flies buzzing around your eyes, Blood on your saddle
and even better, I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I'm finally free
I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me
You'll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above
And I'll never know the same about you your holiness or your kind of love
And it makes me feel so sorry
.
Idiot wind blowing through the buttons of our coats,
Blowing through the letters that we wrote
Idiot wind blowing through the dust upon our shelves
We're idiots babe
It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves
.
His voice may be horrible these days, but if you only buy one Dylan album, buy Blood On the Tracks, bloody marvellous!

.
.
.
No. 2 - Bruce Springsteen - Valentines Day -

.
From the underrated Tunnel of Love album, this song sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It was a close thing between this and Thunder Road, but this shades it.I know I'm taking up space, but this deserves the whole lot printing in full:-
.
I'm driving a big lazy car rushin' up the highway in the dark
I got one hand steady on the wheel and one hand's tremblin' over my heart
It's pounding baby like it's gonna bust right on through
And it ain't gonna stop till I'm alone again with you
A friend of mine became a father last night
When we spoke in his voice I could hear the light
Of the skies and the rivers the timberwolf in the pines
And that great jukebox out on Route 39
They say he travels fastest who travels alone
But tonight I miss my girl mister tonight
I miss my home
Is it the sound of the leavesLeft blown by the wayside
That's got me out here on this spooky old highway tonight
Is it the cry of the river
With the moonlight shining through
That ain't what scares me baby
What scares me is loosin' you
They say if you die in your dreams you really die in your bed
But honey last night I dreamed my eyes rolled straight back in my head
And God's light came shinin' on through
I woke up in the darkness scared and breathin' and born anew
It wasn't the cold river bottom I felt rushing over me
It wasn't the bitterness of a dream that didn't come true
It wasn't the wind in the grey fields I felt rushing through my arms
No no baby it was you
So hold me close honey say you're forever mine
And tell me you'll be my lonely valentine
.
You have to be some kind of hard hearted bastard not to let that affect you, and the music washes over you like the sea, ahhh.....
.
.
.
No. 1 - Frank Sinatra - One for my baby, and one more for the road -

.
The greatest singer that ever lived in my opinion. A fantastic interpreter of a song, that could touch you and make you feel that he really meant it and felt the lyrics. That voice, that smooth, almost conversational quality that his timing gave him, was perfect for this, the saddest and most atmospheric of torch songs
.
It's quarter to three,There's no one in the place 'cept you and me
So set 'em' up joe, I got a little story I think you oughtta know
We're drinking my friend, To the end of a brief episode
So make it one for my baby,And one more for the road
.
I know the routine, Put another nickel in that there machine
I'm feeling so bad, Won't you make the music easy and sad
I could tell you a lot, But you gotta to be true to your code
So make it one for my baby, And one more for the road
.
You'd never know it,But buddy I'm a kind of poet
And I've got a lot of things I wanna say, And if I'm gloomy, please listen to me
Till it's all, all talked away
,
Well, that's how it goes, And joe I know you're gettin' anxious to close
So thanks for the cheer, I hope you didn't mind my bending your ear
But this torch that I found, It's gotta be drowned or it soon might explode
So make it one for my baby, and one more for the road
.
The words on their own don't do it justice, listen to the song, it will slay you. And one final point, he recorded it in the 50's, and that version is perfect, his voice and interpretation are superb, but listen to the one on Duets, from 1992, when his voice is shot to peices, and this on will send shivers down your spine, the frailty of his old voice just completes the emotional hatchet job on your heart strings!

.
hope to see you all at
.
TOMMY's BAR (NEW INN WALTON)
.
TUES 5th FEB

.
and at the CROSS KEYS morley on
.
SAT 9th FEB

.
don't forget
http://www.myspace.com/theericsrock

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com