Top Yorkshire Covers Band - REAL PUB ENTERTAINMENT!!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005


AND NOW FOR
/
PAULS TOP 5
'
5, THE CLASH
WHITE MAN IN HAMMERSMITH PALAIS
.

This one sums up The Clash. Cartoon like political lyrics, anger, irony and real white reggae.
I loved it the first time I heard it. When it gets played people dance, smile and remember. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones at their rebel best with cogent stripped down song writing. The stand out moment has to be the line "They got Burtons suits, huh you think its funny??, turning rebellion into money!"

.

4, BE BOP DELUXE

ADVENTURES IN A YORKSHIRE LANDSCAPE


Simply the best guitar work I have ever heard. I particularly like the Live in The Air Age version. This song brings back the memories for me. Be Bop were the local heroes for so many in the Leeds/Wakefield area back in the mid to late 70's and when I was first introduced to this song I was gobsmacked. A tuneful guitar was able to represent area and places I knew . I think it was the first time I realised the power of a tune. There is a wonderful pay off at the the end of the song where all the instruments join together and play a repeated motif which for me represents the innocent happiness of lazy early teen summers.

.
3, GREEN DAY

WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS

'


I dismissed them as third wave yank punk posers. Never really listened to anything they released. Then they do this to me!
This song makes me cry. Its measured anguish allows you to substitute your own sorrows for the ones referred to in the lyrics. This makes it intensely personal and moving. At the same time it has deep rooted hope at its heart. When the drums and bass come in you cant help but feel lifted. When The Erics first played this at rehearsal we all looked at each other and said "f**king hell this is good". We do virtually nothing with this song, just play it as it is. Its going to be an all time classic.

2, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

THUNDER ROAD

;


"There were ghosts in the eyesOf all the boys you sent awayThey haunt this dusty beach roadIn the skeleton frames of burned out ChevroletsThey scream your name at night in the streetYour graduation gown lies in rags at their feetAnd in the lonely cool before dawnYou hear their engines roaring onBut when you get to the porch they're goneOn the wind so Mary climb inIt's town full of losersAnd I'm pulling out of here to win"

Bruce Springsteens lyrics have changed over the years, becoming more political and less focused on 'cars and girls', this however, is the ultimate car and girl song. I love its unashamed hopefullness. Right from the opening lines:

"The screen door slamsMary' dress wavesLike a vision she dances across the porchAs the radio playsRoy Orbison singing for the lonelyHey that's me and I want you onlyDon't turn me home againI just can't face myself alone againDon't run back insideDarling you know just what I'm here forSo you're scared and you're thinkingThat maybe we ain't that young anymoreShow a little faith there's magic in the nightYou ain't a beauty but hey you're alrightOh and that's alright with me"

this song has me at its mercy.
I have made more fresh starts than most and this is my anthem!!

1, THE WHO

I WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN

;


The Who, especially Pete Townshend and Keith Moon are my ultimate musical heroes. Keith because he put drummers at the front of the band and Pete because he writes songs like this.

Its an all time classic, when you play this song nothing can follow it. Its got politics, power chords, drum solos and screams. The song writing is first class with both album and shortened single versions working well.

Everytime The Erics play this there is a immeadiate atmosphere on stage. We simply love this song. For rock musicians it has everything.

I first bought the album Who's Next, in 1974. When this track came on I was amazed, it was the moment when I realised what I wanted to do as a drummer. Thank god that years later Sam was able to do an arrangement of the song so that my dream could be fulfilled. Now its fulfilled most Saturday nights of the year in pubs around Leed and Cas.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com