Top Yorkshire Covers Band - REAL PUB ENTERTAINMENT!!

Monday, September 19, 2005

THE BEST SONGS IN THE WORLD EVER!!
.
OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS WE WILL BE TELLING YOU WHAT WE CLASS TO BE OUR FAVE SONGS OF ALL TIME
.
FIRST UP
.
PHILS TOP FIVE
.
I've been giving my top 5 favourite songs some thought today and I've found it really hard. There are loads of songs I love but having to choose only 5 out of so many feels like I'm being dis-loyal to some of my fav bands.Anyway I short-listed 20 songs out of which I've selected my top five. These 20 are listed on my own blogsite - www.phileric.blogspot.com - with a more in depth reason behind my number 1 choice. My top 5 are as follows:
.
5.
QUEEN -WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER
.
.
An absolute belter of a song writen by Brian May for the film Highlander. It is played as the Highlander's wife dies of old age, and he realises there is a price to pay for being immortal.
The song of course touches on the subject of who we are, why we are here, and what happens when we die. Do we actually want to live forever?
It is a very dramatic song, almost hymn like, and builds to an almighty crescendo (I think I spelt that right) with the famous Queen operatic style vocals. Then the song dies away................beautiful.
.
4. DEACON BLUE - YOUR SWAYING ARMS
.Rick Ross is one of the most talented songwriters I have heard and his voice is gritty & fierce but fits his style perfectly. This coupled with Lorraine Macintosh's angelic backing vocals make Deacon Blue a truly polished outfit. I was stuck between this song & 'One day I'll go walking, which are both are from the Fellow Hoodlums album. Swaying arms is just a lovely song & for me sums up how I would like to be when the kids have flown the nest & there's just me & Linda left. Love the kids to pieces, always will, but I have to remember she was there first.
.
3. KIRSTY MACOLL - TITANIC DAYS
.
Do
you
ever
get
that
sinking
feeling?
.
I love this song & infact the whole 'Titanic Days' album. In my book it's her best work God bless her departed soul. The best part of this is the ending whereby the effect of the Titanic's journey to the bottom of the sea is created by a rising bass line against a bubbling orchestration dragging down under the surface. Then the song fades out as if the ship has just surrendered to the power of mother nature & just effortly drops into the murky depths. You are left with the sound of the waves washing against the shore and a very soothing, but eerie sound of a quartet continuing to play on. Rather like the bit in the 'Titanic' film where the quartet refuse to stop playing as the ship goes down. Marvellous.
.
2. GIN BLOSSOMS - LOST HORIZONS
.
.
The first track off their first album. I loved the sound of these guys from the first moment I heard them and when I formed 'Stuff' in 1996 it was the kind of sound I was looking for. Problem was that it wasn't the sound that the rest of Stuff were looking for so we didn't last very long. This album is a pure stick it in your car stereo, turn it up full whack, sing along and put yer foot down, kind of an album. It is awesome (I like that word) & when Lost horizons kicks off it just gives me that feel good factor. I love the line in the song that says "she had nothing left to say - so she said she loved me - I stood there grateful for the lie"
Sad that these guys packed it in - disillusioned with the music industry - can you believe it?
Just goes to show there's no point sweating your bollocks off trying get your songs recognised. Might aswell say "Fuck it - I'm off to see The Erics"

So there we are - from 5 to 2 - suprisingly no Beatles, Van Halen, Springsteen or Satellites although I love em all & it was hard leaving them out.
.
It will also be suprising to most that my number 1 choice is by a lesser known artist.
Tina Arena - 'Heaven help my heart.'
.
.
I don't expect any one of you to know the song or who she is but this song is unbelievably personal to me and that's why it's my number 1. She has a cracking voice and the production on the song, and the whole 'Don't Ask' album from where it is taken, is superb. If you want to read more on this please read my blog pages.

Cheers - Phil
.
PAUL , SAM AND DAVES SOON
.
SEND US YOUR TOP 5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think these top fives could get very intersesting
i carnt stop singing boxerbeat
paul has been seen dusting off his old copy of YMCA
and sam has taken to wearing his tartan lined trousers again
(mmmmm skintight white spandex)
for f**cks sake don't bend over!

10:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com